It might be summer, be often times the weather outside doesn’t show it here in Scotland. On those days, you need creamy comfort food that’s packed with healthy fats and protein. Introducing our Smokey Salmon Bake.
Salmon is a very versatile fish which is quick to cook and full of health benefits. It is recommended that we eat a portion of oily fish each week, so this is a great meal from which to get your omega 3 essential fatty acids.
The ingredients you will need for this salmon bake are:
- 4 large Potatoes, peeled
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Butter, unsalted (plus extra for greasing)
- 230g salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 170g Cream cheese
- 120g Smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoon fresh Dill, chopped
- 4 medium free range Eggs
- 300ml Milk, semi skimmed
- Salt and pepper
- Begin by preheating your oven to 190°C. Next, boil water in a pan, then soften the potatoes in the water for 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set them aside.
- Take a frying pan and melt some butter. Fry the chopped onions until they are soft and translucent, and then season them with salt and pepper.
- Make sure your salmon has been skinned and boned, and then squeeze some lemon juice over it. Stead for 5-8 minutes, and then flake it in to bitesize chunkes.
- Grease a deep casserole dish with butter. Chop, slice or mash your potatoes, and cover the bottom of the dish with the potato. Spoon the cream cheese over the potatoes so that they are completely covered.
- Top the cream cheese with the steamed and the smoked salmon. Sprinkle over some fresh dill, and then pour the onions plus the butter you cooked them in over the top.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and the 4 eggs. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Spoon all of the liquid over the salmon bake, and then place in the over for 40 minutes.
- You’ll know the the salmon bake is ready to eat then it is golden and firm!
Original recipe from taming twins.